Tuesday, October 04, 2005

loving vs needing

"It's not your job to make everyone like you."

This is advice I received today at work. Well-intentioned advice. Advice from a friend.

Advice I have heard before, and yet am constantly struggling to apply to my life.

And not only is it not my job at McGraw-Hill to make everyone like me, it's not something God expects of me either. My heart wants to live a life of loving people--this is my "job," in a sense. How is it that my sincere attempts to love people can so quickly be warped into attempts to gain their acceptance? I want to love people--I don't want to need people to like me. Sometimes when you're really loving people, it will make them not like you. It sounds bass-ackwards, but it's true. If someone has a destructive habit, they may not like you if you try to show them the damage they are causing, but it certainly wouldn't be loving to help them continue hurting themselves.

"Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?" - Paul, (Galatians 4:16)

"It's not your job to make everyone like you."

When will I stop being such an approval addict and start choosing to love people, regardless of the cost?

Show You Love (Jars of Clay)
Speak-
say the words that no one else will ever say
Love-
love like the world we know is over in a day


I'm gonna show you love in every language
I'm gonna speak with words that need no form
I'm gonna give you what you never had before

You're beautiful
and I'm weakened by the force of Your eyes
so shine bright to separate the truth from the lies
I'm gonna show you love

So tie me to a tree and let the smoke and ash collect
No, I won't regret to let love do what love will let
We can drown in mixed emotions
or walk an angry sea
this is the cost of being free

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Friend, the Lord is with you wherever you go, he loves you unconditionally and forever. Unfortunatly we humans...well we fail you. Your love and compassion to share 'ugly stuff', that is a true blessing - a true friend. The Holy Spirit will continue to use you if you allow him. I pray that you remember and not doubt, you are a daughter, an ambassador, a steward for Christ.

you are loved by Christ and your hobbit friend.