Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Grammar, shmammar

So, I just got back from grammar class and my mind is racing like crazy (probably due to the coffee I sucked down before class, in hopes of jolting my sleepy brain. It definitely worked. And then some.). Now I'm just killing time before Lost starts (since I'll apparently have NO trouble staying awake for it tonight).

It's so fun to be a student again! Tonight as Shannon, DeAnna, and I walked into the building, we marveled at how "it even smells like college!" Our teacher is a linguist, so by nature she approaches English more as a "botanist" than as a "gardener" (this is how my college grammar teacher described the difference between a linguist/descriptivist and a grammarian/prescriptivist--one notes observations, while the other makes value judgments). I liked that about her. As much as I love rules and grammar snobbery, life keeps teaching me that there are a lot more shades of gray in the world than I'd like to think, and I'm realizing that it's healthy to approach situations this way. Even situations that seem to be very black and white. Grammar. Spirituality. Etc. (Not that I'm a relativist, by any stretch. Seeing the world as only shades of gray is just as naive, I think.)

Well, that's about all I have the attention span for tonight. I now need to search through my wedding photos to send some to my brother. This is Derek, the artist. (I have three brothers: the rapper, the father, and the artist. Scott, Brian, and Derek, respectively) He's entering a couple of art fairs this summer and wants to paint one of our wedding. How sweet :)

Later, gators.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

You have alot of -ists in your blog. I need to really mull each over to fully understand what place in the world they take.
I like grammar class. I think it will be a nice refresher. And I need a lot of refreshing! I liked the professor too. I hadn't thought of the linguist's approach to language. It makes sense though. I definitely fall into the use of bad language to fit in, not with a cliche, but to denote where I'm from - my peeps. ;)

Shannon said...

Shannon T warshes her clothes!

Anonymous said...

the grammar queen returns in full force, it is great. look forward to next week's intrigue.

how did the wedding photo search go? must be fun to remember those fun memories

Shannon said...

Just so all y'all know, I wash, not warsh my clothes. I REALLY wanted youins to know this about me. :)
And I just realized you link to my blog, Erin!

Dena G said...

Chad tells me I "wush" my clothes. WhatEVER. ;-)

I'm jealous of all of you taking grammar class!! I would LOVE to be in class with you.

I love the botanist/gardener imagery...I'm going to meditate on that for awhile.