Friday, January 06, 2006

looking back, looking ahead

Looking Back
So I've spent some time reflecting over the past year. It kind of happened by accident, not because it's a new year and the hip thing to do, or anything like that. What a year 2005 was! Not a lot of major events on the outside (other than the TWE), but I feel like a totally different person than I was a year ago. It really is amazing how God uses difficult times to change us. My relationship with him and many relationships with others have seen dramatic changes over the past year. It has been extremely sweet to experience God in some brand-new ways through hard times (esp. my recent struggles with anxiety) and scary steps of faith (soooo many amazing opportunities to share him with other people lately. It's really been incredible, and I'm so thankful). If I had to give the past year a theme, it would have to be God's faithfulness. The other day I was looking through my journal and found a bunch of verses that I've noted over the past year that have been encouraging to me during some dark moments. The word has been an anchor, and it was neat to go back and read through these passages. Here are some of them:

  • “Stop trusting in man, who has but a breath in his nostrils. Of what account is he?” – Isaiah 2:22
  • “Since ancient times no one has heard, no ear has perceived, no eye has seen any God besides you, who acts on behalf of those who wait for him.” - Isaiah 64:4
  • “Unless the Lord had given me help, I would soon have dwelt in the silence of death. When I said ‘My foot is slipping,’ your love, O Lord, supported me. When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul.” - Psalm 94: 17-19
  • "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."– Romans 15:13
  • “O Sovereign Lord, you are God! Your words are trustworthy, and you have promised these good things to your servant.” – 2 Samuel 7:28
  • “In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence.” – Ephesians 3:12
  • “It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.” – 1 Cor 1:30
  • “It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect. He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; He enables me to stand on the heights. He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze. You give me your shield of victory; You stoop down to make me great. You broaden the path beneath me, so that my ankles do not turn.” - 2 Samuel 22:33-37

And lastly, one of the sweetest ones to me, perhaps partly because it was written during an extremely dark time in Israel's history, and is tucked away in the middle of Lamentations, a book that is mostly so sad, expressing/lamenting devastating loss. In context, this passage expresses a stunning depth of faith in God's goodness in the midst of horrible circumstances:

  • “Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” – lamentations 3:21-23
Looking Ahead
I'm also looking forward to the future. With the big changes of '05 have come some uncertainties about what the future holds--more exciting ministry opportunities, good (though sometimes hard) things God is working out in my relationships with Craig and with my mom, and new project(s) at work (I've heard they might stick me with another TWE...or two, this time. Yikes!). It all makes me nervous sometimes, but I'm mostly excited to see what God is going to do. He is so faithful and has been so consistently faithful to me recently that I can't possibly doubt that the future will hold more of the same.

He’s Always Been Faithful, Sara Groves
Morning by morning I wake up to find

the power and comfort of God's hand in mine.
Season by season I watch him amazed,
in awe of the mystery of his perfect ways
All I have need of his hand will provide.

He's always been faithful to me.

I can't remember a trial or a pain
he did not recycle to bring me gain.
I can't remember one single regret
in serving God only and trusting his hand
All I have need of his hand will provide.
He's always been faithful to me.

This is my anthem, this is my song,
the theme of the stories I've heard for so long.
God has been faithful, he will be again.
His loving compassion, it knows no end.
All I have need of his hand will provide.
He's always been faithful to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Erin, you are a changed daughter of God. it has been such a blessign to be with you, to learn with you, to struggle with you, thank you for your sweet friendship. looking forward to another adventurous year. thank you, these verses, this hope...has meant so very much.