Wednesday, February 15, 2006

thoughts from work

Deep thoughts today…at home church last night, we had a discussion (in our “bumper sticker theology” series) about anger, which carried over to the lunch table conversation at work today. Then, this afternoon I had a very strange interaction with management that left me thinking…thinking about how we humans react when we feel threatened, hurt, or afraid. It can come out in many ways—anger, defensiveness, manipulation and control of others, etc.

During the afternoon conversation, when I felt I was being lectured and talked down to, I started feeling defensive, embarrassed, and guilty all at the same time. While I think the person who was doing the lecturing was really just feeling threatened herself, I started to feel threatened as well. Is it human nature to want to control someone else to make yourself feel more secure? Are the people who seem the nastiest and meanest on the outside really just hurt and afraid on the inside?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes, my dear friend, i believe that is true. it makes me sad to see such aggressive and destructive people. if only they too would know how much they are lvoed by others, and most importantly God.

i'm sorry that you were feeling defeated, always know i think you are the best...no holds bar, in the good bad and ugly you are my friend and sister.