Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Lover

I’ve been reading and reflecting a lot on Philippians 2:5–11 lately. Here’s how it reads in the NLT:

Christ’s Humility and Exaltation Your attitude should be the same that Christ Jesus had. Though he was God, he did not demand and cling to his rights as God. He made himself nothing; he took the humble position of a slave and appeared in human form. And in human form he obediently humbled himself even further by dying a criminal's death on a cross. Because of this, God raised him up to the heights of heaven and gave him a name that is above every other name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

This passage has always been for me a startling picture of God’s love. The transcendent God of heaven coming down to us--not down to the suburbs, but down to the ghetto. Born in a dirty barn. Executed like the worst of criminals. He gave up a pretty plush pad in heaven for that. Not because he had to, but because he chose to. Because he loved us. Loved you. Because he wanted to set us free.

Then, this morning I heard this song by Derek Webb. It expresses a lot of what I feel about this passage in Philippians. It describes God, in the person of Christ, as a Lover. Passionate in his pursuit of his beloved--pursuing her, and pursuing the very best for her. That beloved is us. It's you. Do you know Jesus this way? I don't, at least not much of the time.

The 4th and 5th verses are my favorites. The 4th because it paints the degrading humiliation of Christ's death in a way that is embarrassingly, poignantly real to me. And in the midst of it all, that he was thinking about defending and rescuing me...it's almost too much to take. And the 5th verse describes God's grace in words that anyone can understand. It's like a party where he buys all the rounds and none of your history matters anymore. That's grace.

Anyway, I audio-posted the song below this one. Probably not exactly legal, and the sound quality's not the greatest, but you'll get the gist. If they shut me down soon, you'll know why :). Here are they lyrics:

Lover

words and music by derek webb

Like a man comes to an altar, I came into this town
With the world upon my shoulders and promises passed down
And I went into the water and my Father, He was pleased
I built it and I’ll tear it down so you will be set free

But I found thieves and salesmen living in my Father’s house
I know how they got in here and I know how to get ‘em out
I’m turning this place over from floor to balcony
And then just like these doves and sheep you will be set free

I’ve always been a lover from before I drew a breath
Some things I loved easy and some I loved to death
Because love’s no politician, it listens carefully
Of those who come I can’t lose one, so you will be set free

But go on and take my picture, go on and make me up
I’ll still be your defender, you’ll be my missing son
And I’ll send out an army just to bring you back to me
Because regardless of your brother’s lies you will be set free

I am my beloved’s and my beloved’s mine
So you bring all your history and I’ll bring the bread and wine
And we’ll have us a party where all the drinks are on me
Then as surely as the rising sun you will be set free

No comments: