Saturday, February 24, 2007

Reasons Why

I've been listening to this song a lot lately. It seems to echo some of my recent experiences, as well as those of some friends.

It's funny how we can be going along, thinking everything's fine, and then all of a sudden wake up one day and think, "Whoa! How'd I get here? This is not where I want to be."

We've all been there. But I think it's one thing to come to that realization, and an entirely different thing to come to that realization and then make excuses to stay there.

But I've done that, too. I'm trying to get back to where I want to be, but I can so relate to the self-deceived apathy in this song. (And if the grammar problem of the title bothers you, it bothered me too at first. You'll get over it, too.)

(I'm not sure if the video thing is going to work or not, but regardless, I put the lyrics underneath.)






Now Playing: Nickel Creek - Reasons Why

Brought you by: Music Codes



Where am I today? I wish that I knew
'Cause looking around there's no sign of you
I don't remember one jump or one leap
Just quiet steps away from your lead

I'm holding my heart out but clutching it too
Feeling this short of a love that we once knew
I'm calling this home when it's not even close
Playing the role with nerves left exposed

Standing on a darkened stage, stumbling through the lines
Others have excuses, but I have my reasons why

We get distracted by dreams of our own
But nobody's happy while feeling alone
And knowing how hard it hurts when we fall
We lean another ladder against the wrong wall

And climb high to the highest rung, to shake fists at the sky
While others have excuses, I have my reasons why

[Bridge:]
With so much deception it's hard not to wander away
It's hard not to wander away
It's hard not to wander away

1 comment:

Dena G said...

Sometimes I feel like no one else in the world understands this place I'm in. Obviously, someone does.