Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Feelings

Am I emotional? Not sure. For the longest time, I would have said "no," but I'm starting to wonder. I've always felt that my emotional reactions to crises are sometimes disconnected and distant. "Cool-headed" and "logical," even. Really, though? Maybe "numb" is a better word for it.

I read this in Running With Scissors, a memoir I recently finished. I almost cried, it sounded so familiar (see, I am emotional!):

"My face became like the heating coil on the stove, and I trembled
with hatred. And then just as suddenly, I felt absolutely nothing. It was
like a door quickly opened, showing me what horrible feelings I had inside,
and then slammed shut again so I wouldn't have to actually face them. In
many ways I felt I was living the life of a doctor in the ER. I was
learning to block out all emotions in order to deal with the situation.
Whether that situation involved a mother who was constantly having
nervous breakdowns or the death of the family cat by laundry hamper."

I don't mean to overdramatize, but this gave me some insight into how I sometimes feel (or don't feel, whatever the case may be). Eye-opening.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I think emotional is an okay thing to be. FTR. :)

Anonymous said...

yes, emotions...

what a bother.. ha ha

really, they are a blessing, they help us to see and understand what God feels. erin, my dear friend, i fear you to are emotional, and the more you grow the more emotions will play a part in life. really, this is a good thing. remember, you have a friend just a few miles away that will be there for the laugher, the extremne explosion, or the tears. this is life. as hard as it may be, it is good and lets us appreciate this life here on earth. (ok, i'll stop rambling....)