Thursday, December 21, 2006

"It's the most wonderful time of the year...."

I heard this song on the radio tonight on my way home from work...as I sat in bumper-to-bumper rush hour traffic, which of course was aggravated by the Christmas shopping traffic around the mall. Ha.

So, I haven't died yet, but I'm still not better. Went to Urgent Care Tuesday night because my lungs were hurting so badly I could barely breathe. Apparently the bug in my chest has been promoted to bronchitis, and I got my first Christmas present of the year--another antibiotic prescription. Happy holidays, lung infection! And a happy new year as well.

But all negativity aside, things are going well. I'm looking forward to seeing family and getting a break from the endless stream of pages at work.

Last year I posted my favorite work quote of the year, which was Shannon asking "Does it feel like Christmas, or does it feel like you want to cut your head off?" Compared to last Christmas's Biology hell (and California hell for the rest of them), this hasn't been bad. And podding actually hasn't been so bad, either.

Things that made me smile today:
  • reading my Christmas card from the bosses and seeing that Hope had written "Kathleen" next to my name (I swear, sometimes it feels like they're my extra moms, rather than my bosses)
  • being reminded of an unfortunate Earth Science typo, in which the term "diapirs" had been misspelled "diapers"
  • leftover chocolate cake from yesterday's department party
  • Maureen (she's just funny)
  • getting an unexpected gift from my favorite freelancer
  • having lunch with Adrienne, laughing together and marveling over God's faithfulness and timeliness

Well, time to study for my test. Here's a sampling of some of the terms I need to know for this test (be thankful you don't have to take it!! Unless you're Adrienne and you DO have to take it :)):

  • Biblical perspicuity
  • hermeneutics
  • inductive study
  • didactic
  • verbal plenary inspiration
  • transliteration
  • canonicity
  • apocrypha
  • pseudepigraphal

4 comments:

Shannon said...

It's hard to even imagine what it felt like last year when we were losing our minds. What would've happened if I'd needed to be on medical leave LAST year?? Eek!

You made me jealous to read my card from the bosses.

Anonymous said...

"miss erin kathleen, for the million dollar prize, please list the 4 steps to an inductive study" (said in a talkshow host voice)

merry christmas erin, miss you my dear friend and look forward to visiting soon and sharing stories. what will 2007 bring? more opportunities to share with people, to be changed by God, to grow closer to eachother, to let God have all our hurts and troubles, to understand how loved we are. love you sister.

Shannon said...

Okay, E, this isn't to you, but to your friend above me--I've been feeling really depressed and sad today, and I've tried so hard to shake it but I just feel crappy. And then I read what she said about letting God have all our hurts and troubles, and it made me smile and cry and it was just what I needed in just the right moment. So thanks, friend-once-removed.

*teary smile*

Dena G said...

Hey, Erin...I hope you were feeling well enough that Christmas truly WAS the "most wonderful time of the year" for you. Love you!