Friday, January 26, 2007

I want to be a loser!

The diet begins.

I've never been one to be obsessed with food, but it's amazing how, the day after you start a diet, every thought is suddenly fixated on food. Calories. Points. Some of the things that go through your head are borderline insane: "Hmm, I think I'll watch some TV...I wonder how many points that will cost me?" Life, for a brief period of time, revolves completely around food. And all the math involved! I don't really enjoy making decisions anyway, let alone decisions that involve doing math while I'm hungry.

Today's my first full day, and my body is feeling two things: tired and confused. ("What the heck? What's with all these vegetables? What are we supposed to do with vitamins and nutrients? Where's the cheeseburger?")

Oh, and funny lesson I learned today: pay attention to the serving size on the box. There's a big difference between an entire frozen pizza, and one-third of a frozen pizza.

If I can make it through this week, I think it will get better. The nonphysical part of me feels good and hopeful. The physical part of me might be complaining, but honestly, it's been in charge for too long. Time to sit down and learn who's the boss.

Some things I'm looking forward to after I meet my goal:
hiking in Tennessee in May without getting winded immediately
fitting into my old clothes
feeling healthier and having more energy
sleeping better

I've never really been super self-disciplined, but I'm trying to take some encouragement from Paul, who definitely knew self-discipline. A super cool self-discipline, perseverence verse I found: "Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave..." - 1 Cor 9:26-27

Thass right, body. Who da boss?

3 comments:

Shannon said...

It's going to be fun!! I'm going to start exercising Monday, and then start WW with you the following Monday. That's my plan, anyway. :)

Oops about the pizza!!

Dena G said...

I'm right there with ya, sista! I started 3 weeks ago, because I'm going to Florida for my birthday and, even though this body will NOT get near a swimsuit in the shape it's in, I don't want Miamians or Key Westians fleeing in horror at the sight of my white flab poking out from my capris and short-sleeves!!

I'm nowhere near my hoped-for goal, of course, but I know it's doable eventually.

Anonymous said...

it simply amazes me to see how many lives you are affecting by your openness and desire to become more healthy, to treat your body with greater respect, it is a temple to God, he formed you perfectly. thank you.

for years i've struggled being comfortable in my own skin. your vigor and strength gives me such great hope, and it appears you are also helpingn many others also,

here's to your Tennesse goal!!