Sunday, January 07, 2007

Resolutions?

It's the new year. Everyone's talking about resolutions and new beginnings. I was reading Dena's blog, and she made a good point: How exactly did the world "change" a week ago when the clock struck 12? What's the big deal about the new year?

Nothing, really. But for some reason, we take it as our annual opportunity to look back and look ahead. To take stock of things. To reflect on all that has changed. To decide what else we want to change.

Dena's observation reminded me of a passage in the Bible: "Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness." (Lamentations 3:21-23)

The new year is a good time for a new start, but that's true of every day. I "blow it" pretty often. I lament over my bad choices, my lack of discipline (reason #1 that I don't make new year's resolutions), my inability to "fix" all the things that drive me crazy about myself...but I love this passage, because it reminds me (a) that God's love is bigger than my screwups and (b) that every day (actually, every moment) is an opportunity for a fresh start. I don't have to wait until next January. His kindness toward me is always new, and his faithfulness to me is always great. Good thing!

No comments: